Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week Three

Note: This post is a little late because I participated in the Tough Mudder race last weekend with my dad, my step-mom, my boyfriend, my best friend, and two other family friends. We walked/trotted/hiked 12 miles and did 21 insane obstacles. And, we did it all as PIRATES! :) I felt very accomplished after we finished. And, I'd be lying if I didn't say that this race was my HIGHLIGHT from the entire week...


The Good:
I had both of my Intro to College Writing classes read an essay by Sherman Alexie called "Superman and Me." I love this essay because it is all about the power of reading and writing. After the reading, I asked my students to reflect on the piece through some guided questions. Here are a couple of my favorite responses:
1) "Reading and writing are revolutionary tools because they're something that NO ONE can take away from you. Once you understand it and know it, there isn't anyone or anything that can take it from you." -- A.L.
2) "[Alexie] shows that reading is a way of seeing things, but when you write it, it definitely helps people understand a better perspective of you and your meaning." -- N.G.
3) "I think Sherman Alexie believes that education should be a symbol of equality for everyone because, in reality, no one is superior to any other." -- N.G.
4) "Alexie believes that education can help those who are oppressed by society and then to help those who will come later." --T.L.

Also, Ms. Barrett came to observe my class today. Again, she offered me some great feedback and praise. In her notes to me, she wrote, "Great job inserting the definitions of words you think may trip them up. You clearly think through your materials in a serious way." It was very nice to have someone recognize how much time I put into creating my lessons. All I want is for my students to be successful, and I spend most of my waking hours making sure that they have access to as many writing tools as I can possibly give them.

The Bad:
I can't stand the way that my classroom is set up. It is LONG and NARROW, so the kids in the back are really far away from the board. Also, since it has been so hot in Oakland lately, I have to turn every fan in the classroom on, and my students are still hot... In addition, the fans make it hard for me to hear my students responses. I often have to ask them to repeat themselves, and it's clear that they are frustrated by that request just I much as I am when I have to give it. Ms. Barrett also recognized that this might become a problem during her observation. She wrote, "Every time Pedro speaks he can't be heard. If it happens twice, he says 'nevermind.' How can you change this dynamic so he'll be inclined to share more often rather than back off. Vinh did the exact same thing. I think it has to do with this long space they have to get their voices to carry. I think they want to be involved."

I know that Pedro wanted to be involved. I asked Pedro to stay after class earlier in the week and asked him when he was going to "step up" in class. I told him that I was disappointed in how disengaged he was and how many side conversations he participated in. I told him that I thought he was capable of MORE. I think my candor surprised and inspired him because he immediately he told me that he would change. And, he did! However, when I couldn't hear him, he started to get embarrassed and back off. I was SO frustrated! So, does anyone have any ideas of how to change the space?

The Ugly:
Thankfully, there wasn't anything particularly ugly that I had to deal with this week. I'm growing more confident in my classroom management style as I experiment with new ideas. I was MUCH more strict this week, but Ms. Barrett and I both think that it will pay off. I want to be a "warm demander." I started the year off with too much "warm," and now I'm frantically working to add the "demander." My goal is to have my "teacher character" (of sorts) set by mid-October.

On the other hand, I'm worried that I am intimidated BY a couple of my students. This is not a good place to be in because it makes me tentative to discipline them. Therefore, I allow them to get away with things that I would never tolerate other students doing. And, I think my other students may recognize my leniency. So, what do I do? This feeling of intimidation is almost paralyzing in some instances. It also make me feel silly to say that a 17 year old intimidates me.... And, I don't want my feelings to affect my classroom management. I think I just need to work harder to build relationships with the few students who make me feel this way....

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! There are some students who are intimidating because you know that if they get set off and "explode" then they have the opportunity to derail your class. I think it's okay to discipline students in different ways. Remember what Futterman always said, "Being fair is not about treating everyone equally. It's about giving everyone what they need."

    ReplyDelete